By Jeff Jucha, Certified Two-Brain Business Mentor
The first few weeks will greatly affect how long a client stays with you.
You’ve learned what a client’s 10 out of 10 looks like at intake. Now it’s time to start delivering perfect service from Day 1.
The secret: Build the perfect program around the client.
Instead of just placing a client into one of your programs, build a customized 10-out-of-10 experience using the programs you offer. Your services are tools you can use to help clients; their exact programs should be built around their needs.
For example, I only recommend our on-ramp program to clients with a track record of success on their own.
Most new clients say something like this: “I know what to do but I just don’t do it.” So we start those clients with at least one month of one-on-one appointments and healthy-habits coaching. We might prescribe them online coaching or at-home workouts if they need them.
After you’ve decided on the program, it’s time to go next level. Write out exactly how you’ll make each individual experience a 10 out of 10. Share the notes from your consultation with the client’s coach if you aren’t filling that role.
Lisa needs help creating healthy habits and assurance that she won’t look silly in front of people. She’s concerned about an old ankle injury being aggravated and wants to start slowly. Here is how I will help Lisa during her first month:
- Prescribe 15-minute walks in the morning and evening, and have her drink 20 oz. of water on top of her current daily intake.
- Schedule two recurring emails each week to check on these assignments when she doesn’t have an appointment booked with me.
- Test her ankle flexibility and talk her through each step of movements prescribed to increase her ankles’ range of motion.
- Introduce her to at least one coach and two clients from the gym and share something they might have in common.
This process seems simple (and it is), but most fitness professionals miss the mark on following it with each client.
Execute and Follow Up
Once you’ve written down how you’ll deliver your client’s perfect experience, schedule a check-in. We check in at 14 days for group and nutrition clients and 30 days for personal-training clients.
At the end of our session, I’ll say, “I’d like to know how I’m doing. If I made a Google form just for you and emailed it to you, would you take a few minutes and complete it?”
Of course, they will; you’ve given them a 10-out-of-10 experience!
Then, I make a Google form with the client’s name at the top and email it. You can copy and paste common questions, but be sure to edit some of them for the client’s specific program. Here are the three that I use:
- At our first meeting, I asked what would make a 10-out-of-10 experience for you. On a scale of 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with your experience so far?
- When we met, you expressed concern around [CONCERN]. Did I address this appropriately for you?
- You expressed that your goal was [INSERT GOAL]. Do you feel like we are making appropriate progress toward it?
Bonus: ask these two questions at the end for marketing purposes.
- Could you sum up your experience with us in a short paragraph?
- Finally, if you’re inclined to do so, would you mind leaving us an honest review on Google? You can even copy/paste your previous response for simplicity. [INSERT GOOGLE REVIEW LINK].
Use as many questions as you need, but try to ensure that the form can be filled out in five minutes or less.
The Pinnacle of Service
So far, you’ve taken time to learn about the client’s perfect experience. You’ve delivered on it and shown that you care enough to ask for honest feedback. Everything you’ve done up to this point is well beyond what your competition is doing.
- Your clients do not want to make you guess. They want you to know how to be successful because that means they’ll achieve their goals.
- After you find out exactly what their perfect experience is, deliver on it and ask how you’re doing so you can make adjustments or capitalize on their satisfaction.
In the next post in this series, I’ll show you how to keep wowing the client for years while increasing your ARM.